RedSoxBloggers

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

A Gorilla in Times Square

Speaking of gorillas in Times Square, Johnny Damon, the hairy one, is now a Yankee. He has chosen the Evil Empire over allegiance to the city, team, and fans that made him a baseball icon. My wife was shocked when I told her that Damon signed with the Yankees. Her response, "Wait a minute, I liked him. What about loyalty? Oh no, that's just wrong!" My daughter Ashley (eight years old) said, "Damon is a Yankee, how did that happen?" I just closed my eyes and re-imagined an October moment from 2004, "the year" > It was the top of the second inning, Yankee Stadium, the sacks were racked, and Damon "yanks" a grand slam into the right field bleachers, and the lights on the scoreboard blinked from 2-0 to 6-0... I remember that moment like it was right now. And with that moment re-imagined, I was OK. Johnny Damon fulfilled his destiny as the center fielder for the Boston Red Sox, he helped bring joy unspeakable and a lasting peace to the heart of Red Sox Nation. And now he is a member of the New York Yankees, the greatest chokers in the history of professional sports. Adieu #18.

4 Comments:

  • At 7:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Doesn't calling the Yankees "chokers" diminish the accomplishment of what our beloved Sox did that October? Anybody can back into a victory when the other team chokes...say for example the '86 Mets...but to me, we went out and absolutely took those last 4 games which were nip and tuck, tooth and nail all the way (save for the game 7 nail-in-the-coffin). So while I lament losing Damon and becry his disloyalty, I'd rather remember 2004 as our fantastic & historic comeback rather than hang the "choker" tag on the loser. Good luck with this Blog & Happy Chanukah.

     
  • At 7:25 AM, Blogger Peter N said…

    Happy holidays from me, too. Yesterday is but a distant memory of furious typing and accelerated heartbeats. And I'm the Peter with the N.

     
  • At 9:34 AM, Blogger X said…

    "What about loyalty?"

    Is that aimed at the Sox or Damon.

    As best we know, the Sox offerred about 25% below market value. Furcal signed for $13MM and I haven't heard anyone say Damon is worth less than Furcal.

    If my employer told me they were going to pay me 25% below my value, I may go work for Microsoft.

     
  • At 11:49 AM, Blogger Peter Burch said…

    anonymous
    point taken. the sox did it to the yankees, but that only increases my glee in pronouncing the yankees the greatest chokers in professional sports history.

    x
    furcal gets a B+ for offense and an A+ on defense. damon gets an A+ on offense and a B- on defense (see today's post "Armed and Not Dangerous"). Furcal is younger and, most likely, a better base stealer (granted, damon didn't need to steal bases in our lineup). i would put a furcal and damon on even par vis-a-vis market value. which still supports your point of course. if the red sox go out and get a .280 guy who can throw and use the rest of damon's money to get another arm for the pen i'll be satisfied.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home